Monday, September 2, 2013

I'll give you the shirt off my back ... just so I can buy a new one

It started when I was young, I'd be fastidiously ironing my school shirt before school - desperate to get out every crease. I've been addicted to shirts for as long as I can remember. Not just any shirts though, I have my favorites.

Designer shirts

Characterized by their label and the aspects of their brand. The creme de la creme, perfection riding on my shoulders - designer shirts are my all time favorite. The quality is second to none; you see it when the shirt last two and three times as long as regular branded shirts and you feel it when the seams hold strong with every pull.

Apart from the workmanship, their fashionable cuts are always ideal and who doesn't like turning heads in the street.

European shirts

As mentioned above, I am a fan of tailored slim fit shirts. The Europeans were the ones who made this cut famous. So much so, it is also referred to as a 'European cut'. Not only are their cuts supreme, so to are the elegant fabrics they choose.

Dress shirts

Previously limited to formal occasions in the company of suits and ties, these have become the bread and butter of my wardrobe. I have a dress shirt for nearly every occasion.

A crisp white shirt with slacks for a classic look in the office and a patterned dress shirts partnered with chino's, embracing casual Fridays. These shirts are generally worn tucked in, but come the weekend I'm teaming them with jeans and even shorts during the summer for a very relaxed, yet chic look.

Alternative shirts

No one likes to blend into the crowd do they? Neither do I.

I'm always on the lookout for the next style trend in shirts. Whether it be contrasting sleeves or pockets, extreme tailoring, distressed fabrics, heightened collars or the now mainstream double collared shirts (see below) ... I'll try anything once.

Contrasting fabrics has been a popular trend in matching shirts and ties of late and the trend is seemingly continuing into shirt fabric choices. Whilst not infiltrating the dress shirt market just yet, casual shirts are readily available with contrasting materials being used for various parts of the shirt.

Double collar shirts

As mentioned above, I am always looking for a unique style, the double collar is my latest fetish. As the name suggests this is a shirt with two collars, or at least the appearance of two collars. The collars are typically contrasting in color and or pattern and give any shirt a unique twist on a classic dress shirt.

Long gone are the days when a shirt is just a shirt - They're an art form.

No comments:

Post a Comment